Monday, July 23, 2007

Why Do We Struggle in Our Personal Prayer Lives?

.
You and Your Personal Prayer Life

Pastor, as I prepared to preach a sermon on prayer last week, I got out two resources that have shaped my prayer life. The first was T.W. Hunt and Katherine Walker's Disciple's Prayer Life. This in-depth 13-week study would be the perfect daily study and prayer guide for you personally for the next three months. I am going through it for the fourth time and am amazed at how fresh it is. I got permission to post a 22-page sample including the introduction, first complete week of daily studies, and one of the twelve prayer guides.

The other study shaped how I pray with others. It is T.W. Hunt and Claude King's "In God's Presence." The cool thing is that this study has been revised and is now part of our "Growing Disciples Series." The new study called Pray in Faith just released this month and I've posted a 17-page sample including the introduction and week one. I personally led this study when I first got to the church that I served before coming to LifeWay. It established a biblical pattern for group prayer for the nine years I served there.

Blessings on your prayer life,

Craig Webb, Editor
View back issues of Pastors Today here or view sermons and preaching articles in Proclaim Online.

Pastor, why do we struggle with prayer?

Do you have another moment, pastor? I was talking with Claude King about these prayer resources and he shared something with me. He said, "Craig, I fear that the struggle that many pastors have with their personal prayer life is that they, like many of their church members, had earthly fathers that make it difficult to desire intimate fellowship with their Heavenly Father." He also said, "Often when I'm teaching around the country on prayer or intimacy with God, I'll take the time to discuss this issue with the group and invite them to a time to seek healing from these wounds."

Claude suggested that you take a "no-agenda" thirty minute walk with your Heavenly Father and allow Him to minister to you in the ways He knows you need it.


Try keywords in the Search This Blog box above
Coaching? Teaching? Preaching? on prayer ... Contact Phil@nppn.org
•More Help! > http://www.PrayerLeader.com
•More Help! > http://www.NPPNblog.blogspot.com

No comments: